Probiotics is one of the popular topics in the health and wellness industry today, with that popularity come some frequently asked questions: What are they? how does it work? Is it a good idea to use probiotics products for skin & hair?
We have got answers to all your questions: let’s look at them in detail in this article.
What are probiotics?
Probiotics are made up of good bacteria that help keep your body healthy and functioning properly. Probiotics are live microorganisms that are intended to have health benefits when consumed or applied to the body. They can be found in yogurt and other fermented foods, dietary supplements, and beauty products.
There are over 400+ species of Probiotics in our body.
Properties of probiotics:
- It should be safe for the host.
- It should not produce any pathogenic or toxic effect.
- It must be resistant to hydrochloric acid, bile and pancreatic juice.
- It should produce lactic acid.
- It should retain viability during storage and use.
- It should stimulate the immune system of the body.
- It should have the ability to colonize the gastrointestinal tract.
World Health Organisation (WHO) defines probiotics as “the living microorganisms which, when administered in adequate amounts, confer a health benefit on the host.”
- Powerful antioxidant
- Rich in vitamins and enzymes
- Helps to increase skin and hair condition
- Friendly bacteria that balance the skin microbiome
- Immunity booster.
How does probiotics works?
Probiotics, also known as good bacteria, are primarily responsible for maintaining your body in a healthy balance. Think of it as maintaining your body’s neutrality. Bad bacteria enters your body and grows when you are ill. Your body becomes out of balance as a result. Good bacteria fights off bad bacteria and restores balance in your body.
Probiotics may help:
- Improve immune function
- Protect against hostile bacteria to prevent infection
- Improve digestion and absorption of food and nutrients.
Probiotics may aid in the digestion of protein and fat, which is beneficial for young children, people recovering from illness, and others who need to build strength. Good bacteria keeps you healthy by boosting your immune system and reducing inflammation.
Probiotics may contain a variety of microorganisms. The most common are bacteria that belong to groups called Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium. Other bacteria may also be used as probiotics, and so may yeasts such as Saccharomyces boulardii. Different types of probiotics may have different effects. For example, if a specific kind of Lactobacillus helps prevent an illness, that doesn’t necessarily mean that another kind of Lactobacillus or any of the Bifidobacterium probiotics would do the same thing.
Some probiotics also treats water waste and reduces the levels of toxic chemicals dispelled from your drains. In this way, probiotics prevents environmental pollution.